Brackley Town   1-1   Southport   18 Feb 2020

Saints stung by late late equaliser

Saints started the game seeking a first goal and a first win in five games.  Lee Ndlovu’s 77th minute header broke the goal drought and looked to have set Kevin Wilkin’s side on their way to a deserved win until Southport grabbed a 94th minute equaliser.

“We’ve allowed the ball to stay live when we really should be killing the game off,” Wilkin said.  “We had the opportunity to keep the ball high up the pitch and we didn’t need to go searching for another goal but we have to take this disappointment on the chin, learn from it and move on.”

The seven-nil corner count told the story of the first half as Carl Baker twice brought saves from Dan Hanford and Shep Murombedzi’s goal-bound effort was blocked with Saints on top.  Southport’s Reagan Ogle’s long throws were a threat and George Newell shot at Danny Lewis when well placed in the visitors’ best chance.

The second half took a while to get going again but Dan Holman’s deflected shot won a 77th minute corner that Shane Byrne took finding Glenn Walker at the near post and his header was finished by Ndlovu for his 16th league goal of the season.

Brackley enjoyed further opportunities while Southport substitute Jack Dunn’s fierce shot brought a fine save from Lewis as the visitors pressed late on.  A 93rd minute cross was tipped over by Lewis earning Southport a second corner of the game.  Keeper Hanford came forward for the corner kick with seconds only remaining but Brackley defended the set piece only for the ball to be played back into the danger area and Jack Doyle’s header somehow found the bottom corner of Lewis’ goal through a thicket of bodies.  The re-start was the final action of the game leaving Saints crest fallen and ruing further dropped points.


Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Walker, Dean, Lowe, Murombedzi, Ndlovu, Holman (Armson 89), Baker (Langmead 90+3).    Subs unused: Daire, Maye, Smith.

Southport:   Hanford, Sanders, Doyle, Winnard (Dunn 80), Astles, Parry (Bauress 64), Ogle, Oliver, Newell, Sampson, Woods.     Subs unused:   Benjamin, Morgan, Albinson.


Referee:  Dale Wootton              Assistants:   James Cox and Ashley Clarke

Attendance:    350

Social Media
Pin It