Brackley Town  2-0  Kidderminster Harriers     28 Dec 2019

Saints finish the year on a high

Kidderminster will be rueing missed chances as Brackley keeper Danny Lewis pulled off a string of fine saves to keep his side in the game as the visitors dominated the first half and continued to create good openings in the second.

But it was Brackley who converted their rare opportunities to clinch a vital win as the teams above them at the start of the day dropped points to see Saints head into 2020 in third place.

“Kidderminster have pretty much dominated the game,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “That’s the most Danny’s been worked this season I would think and certainly here at home.  In the first half we were disjointed and didn’t get into our stride at all and credit to Kidderminster for that because they were excellent.  We changed it round at half-time and created some big moments that we took to get the three points.”

In the first half Harriers had Saints on the back foot.  Rhys Williams’ shot hit the crossbar, Ethan Freemantle was three times denied by defenders and Lewis, and Ollie Shenton saw his effort somehow scrambled away after Lewis had blocked the initial shot.

But Kevin Wilkin’s side reached the break still level, started the second period in an altogether more positive vein and took the lead after 52 minutes with their first shot on target as defender Thierry Audel stabbed in a loose ball as the visitors failed to clear from a corner, Audel’s seventh goal of the season.

Lewis saved instinctively from Milan Butterfield and moments later tipped over Sam Austin’s effort before Harriers were reduced to ten men as Rhys Williams received a straight red card for a challenge on substitute Jimmy Armson.

Lee Ndlovu sealed the win after 85 minutes finishing from close range at the second attempt after the initial cross by Armson and a pull-back by Matt Lowe.

“Jimmy went on in the second half and had a terrific effect for us," Wilkin added.  "Down to ten men Kidderminster continued to ask questions of us and we had to stay organised.  We needed the second goal and I was delighted for Lee that he got it.  I am thankful for the win but we were a little bit fortunate today to take all three points.”


Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Audel, Langmead, Lowe, Murombedzi, Ndlovu , Daire (Armson 46),Walker (Fairlamb 83).    Subs unused:  Baker, Smith, Noon.

Kidderminster Harriers:   Mannion, Austin, Davidson, R.Williams, Moyo, Johnson, Prosser, Butterfield, Freemantle (Penniket 66), Hemmings, Shenton (E.Williams 50).    Subs unused:  Palmer, Scott, Higginson.

Referee:  Daniel Locker     Assistants:   Richard Watson and Niall Smith

Attendance:  775


Social Media
Pin It