Brackley Town  0-0  Spennymoor Town   5 Nov 2019

Saints frustrated again as points are shared

A fireworks night match had ready-made headlines but this one failed to sparkle despite the home side’s sharp start and dominant first half performance as the game fizzled out to a goal-less draw leaving the visitors the more content as their winning streak was ended.

Saints did everything but score in the opening period, Wes York twice going close, Lee Ndlovu’s shot grazing the outside of keeper Matt Gould’s post and Saints spurning a penalty when Matt Lowe was felled, Jimmy Armson firing over after 40 minutes in a big let-off for ‘Moors.

In the second half though both sides continued to work hard with Spennymoor defensively well organised and quick to get players behind the ball.  Frustration set in for Saints and neither side created anything close to a goal chance.

Brackley remain in 7th place with their unbeaten home record in tact but this was another one that got away, a view not lost on Kevin Wilkin.  “We were dominant in the game tonight but we have scored only one goal now in four games,” Wilkin said.  “You see our play up until we are in front of goal.  I can’t ask any more of the lads.  Out of frustration for a period in the second half we allowed Spennymoor to come back into the game but Danny hasn’t had to make a save really.  Our build-up play and defensively I can’t ask for any more but we have to start scoring goals.  We have to convert our chances and if we do we get the three points.  One goal in four games is not good enough.” 

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Audel, Dean, Lowe, Armson (Fairlamb 66), Ndlovu, York (Daire 86), Walker.   Subs unused: Worby, Holman, Murombedzi.

Spennymoor Town:  Gould, Hibbs, Mason, Chandler, Buddle, Curtis, Roberts (Anderson 60), Henry (Hall 79), Taylor, Ramshaw, McKenna (Cogden 86).   Subs unused:  Brogan, Boyes.  

Referee:  Richie Watkins              Assistants:  Alan Cox and Ashley Clarke

Attendance:   330


Social Media
Pin It