Brackley Town  1-1  Chester   2 Nov 2019

Blues and Saints level-pegging

This fixture finished level on both occasions last season and so it was again as Chester’s resolute defending earned a valuable away point.  Brackley enjoyed the better of things, on top in the first period with the second period more evenly contested.  The draw maintains Kevin Wilkin’s side’s unbeaten home record.

The visitors went ahead through Bradley Jackson’s fine 9th minute strike but Saints were soon level as central defender Thierry Audel fired in at the second attempt following Shane Byrne’s free-kick, Audel’s fifth goal of the campaign.

Lee Ndlovu and Byrne went close to giving Saints the lead as The Blues were relieved to go in at the interval all square.  In the second half Chester three times survived a goalmouth scramble, keeper Russ Griffiths saved well from Ellis Myles and Luke Fairlamb’s fiercely struck free-kick was close.

Arguably the clearest goal scoring opportunity of the half and Chester’s sole chance fell to George Waring but his finish could not beat Danny Lewis when well placed.

“I felt we had the better chances and if either of the sides is happier with the point I think it would be Chester,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “We created some really good chances especially in the first half and they needed some good last-ditch defending second half.  But credit to Chester, they stuck to their guns and take a point away.  Despite their possession they haven’t really hurt us and we have to understand the importance of scoring more than one goal and giving ourselves a cushion and a platform on which to build and close games out.”

The draw keeps Chester in second place eight points behind leaders York City while Brackley remain 7th, at the head of seven teams separated by a single point chasing those top spots.     

Brackley Town:   Lewis, Myles, Dean, Audel, Franklin, Byrne, Lowe, Armson (Murombedzi 86), Walker, York (Fairlamb 62), Ndlovu.   Subs unused: Worby, Daire, Langmead.

Chester:   Griffiths, K.Roberts, Taylor, Livesey (Morgan 46), Grand, G.Roberts, Jackson, Glendon, Dudley (Hughes 82); Waring, Elliott (Waters 59).    Subs unused:   Burton, Stopforth.  

Referee:  Scott Simpson               Assistants:  Reece Davies and Luis Martin

Attendance:   602


Social Media
Pin It