Brackley Town  2-0  Warrington Town  FA Cup Q3   5 Oct 2019

Saints ease through in cup

A goal in each half sent Brackley through to the next round of the FA Cup in a match that huffed and puffed at times.

“Naturally I am pleased to be through,” was the reaction of manager Kevin Wilkin. “We kept a clean sheet again which is massive and haven’t allowed them too many chances.  They have plenty of presence and can cause problems but I thought we dealt with that well today.”

Both goals came from defenders, the first a powerful header by centre-back Thierry Audel, his fourth goal of the season, direct from Glenn Walker’s in-swinging corner after 25 minutes.  The result was not settled though until right-back Ellis Myles found the net in the 80th minute after good work by Matt Lowe who carried the ball before picking a precision pass to set up Myles who took his chance neatly.

Warrington started and finished the first half strongly, inbetween Saints created a number of chances but were unable to convert more than Audel’s headed goal.  Shane Byrne’s fine shot was inches wide while for Yellows Matty Chadwick pulled his shot wide in the visitors’ only first half chance.

The second half was scrappy at times, substitute Alex Byrne firing close and Warrington captain Mark Roberts denying Lee Ndlovu with a last ditch tackle.

“From a defensive perspective I thought we did really well today,” Wilkin added.  “We were just a bit scruffy in our attacking play at times and we didn’t get that crucial second goal early enough really.  But it’s nice to have another tie to look forward to on the horizon and it helps the spirit through the course of the week.  It’s a big result for us and it’s great for the club.”

Brackley Town:  Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Audel, Dean, Lowe, Armson, Ndlovu (Holman 87), Fairlamb (Baker 76), Walker.    Subs unused:  Langmead, Noon, Worby.

Warrington Town:  McMillan, Duggan, Warren, Sephton (Dixon 74), Roberts, Raven, Mackreth, Garrity, Chadwick (Jordan 58), Gray, Vassallo (Byrne 58).   Subs unused:  Beeley, Jennings, McCarten, Richards.

Referee:  Mark Howes       Assistants:  Mark Billingham and Liam Corbett

Attendance:  452

Social Media
Pin It