Brackley Town  1-1  AFC Telford United   7/9/19

Drawn result is a fair point

Brackley maintained their unbeaten home record but were unable to record back-to-back wins for the first time in the season while Telford are now unbeaten in three after a tight contest ended in stale-mate.

“It was a frustrating game,” Kevin Wilkin said.  “We were down to the bones today but that’s not to make excuses because we had a strong side out there.  We got ourselves in a strong position then they get a bit of a controversial penalty – one of those you want if it is given for you and if it is against you then you feel it’s harsh.  But we kept going.  There wasn’t much fluency about our game today, we didn’t get hold of the ball and we didn’t pass it as we are capable of.  We scored a well worked goal however.  Matt [Lowe] carried a lot of the best things we were about today and showed the player he can be for us.”

The scores were level at the interval and remained that way at the finish after a disappointing second half when neither team really got into their stride.  The game had started brightly, Brackley going ahead after 16 minutes through Matt Lowe’s first goal of the campaign.  Strong work in the penalty area by Lee Ndlovu and then Jimmy Armson set up the chance that Lowe finished decisively.

Andrew Wycherley saved well from Ndlovu in the only other clear cut chance of the half while former Saints striker Aaron Williams turned and struck his shot well from distance but it was wide.  The game-changing moment came late in the half when Brackley captain Gareth Dean was adjudged to have fouled Marcus Dinanga just inside the penalty area.  Dinanga got up to despatch the penalty smartly to equalise.

Shep Murombedzi and then Lee Ndlovu had Saints’ best chances of the second half, both deflected shots well saved, while Adam Walker’s effort was not too far away and Brendon Daniels’ deftly taken free-kick was close but could not break the dead-lock.


Brackley Town:   Lewis; Myles, Franklin, Byrne (Baker 42), Audel, Dean, Lowe (Langmead), Armson, Ndlovu, Fairlamb (Daire 73), Murombedzi.   Subs unused: Worby, Noon.

AFC Telford United:   Wycherley; White, Morley, Deeney, Sutton, Lilly, Daniels, Walker, Dinanga, Williams, Knights.    Subs unused:  Streete, Royle, Lait, Reilly, Brown.   

Referee:  Jon Kenny       Assistants:   Tom Swift and Tim Walker

Attendance:  545



Social Media
Pin It