3rd April 2019

UHL Hellenic League – Premier Division

Windsor Town (3) Brackley Town Saints (0)


Saints: Cox, Green (Ireland 75), Brock, Baldwin (Swann 67), Ward, Ball (G) (Hammond 58), Watts, Knight, Godfrey, Kille

Subs not used:


Saints push for the top of the table was dealt a blow at a wet Stag Meadow. Despite the rain the playing surface was very good and at times this was an absorbing match of contrasting styles. Saints were missing the suspended Ali Worby and the injured Ollie Goddard/James Hammond but were pleased to welcome back Lewis Baldwin from injury.


Windsor were out of the traps fast. On 7 minutes Jack Knight initiated a flowing move which led to a Dan Roberts shot which Eddie Cox, did well to tip over the bar.  Even though the game was played in a good spirit an early aerial challenge on Curtis Green set the tone for an evening where a number of Saints players were injured following such challenges.


Saints gradually eased themselves into the game after a rocky start and on 17 minutes George Ball showed great tenacity on the edge of the penalty box and shot inches wide of the Windsor post. Some very good approach play was being met with good defensive resistance by both sides, and it seemed that the first half would finish goalless. However the final 5 minutes of the half did not go Saints way. On 40 minutes Saints physio, Steve Miles, was red carded for aiming a rhetorical question at the referee following another aerial challenge which saw George Ball needing prolonged treatment to his shoulder. Three minutes later Saints squandered possession on the edge of their own box which led to a Windsor corner, which was accurately delivered beating everybody except George Gould who was unmarked at the far post and headed powerfully past Cox.


The early stages of the second half were still very tight, but Saints fell further behind on 52 minutes again squandering good possession with a misplaced pass in the final third. Windsor took full advantage and broke at pace down the left wing ending with a great cross along the six yard box which found the division’s top scorer,  Dan Roberts, unmarked at the far post and he tapped in to double Windsor’s lead.


Windsor were buoyant and Cox was required to save the situation on 2 or 3 occasions over the next 10 minutes. Saints were under the cosh and were not helped when Joe Ward picked up a head wound (you will remember that the Saints physio had been dismissed…!!!) which needed to be treated by the Windsor physio (Thank You). It was then Lewis Baldwin’s turn when he was knocked into next week by yet another aerial challenge and was forced to leave the field with a bump the size of an egg on his head.


Windsor completed the scoring on 74 minutes when substitute Jack Hall shot past Cox with his first touch following a poor defensive header.


Despite everything Saints continued to play their football and good movement from Luke Swann and interplay with James Hammond lead to the latter shooting from the edge of the box, but the shot was easily dealt with by Harry Sobte in the Windsor goal.


So no game for Saints at the weekend which will be a blessing in disguise as it will allow the walking wounded time to recover for the final three very important matches of the Saints season. Two of these are against the first and second placed teams in the division. All of the teams in the top 5 are jostling for position, and many are playing each other over the next 4/5 weeks. If Saints win their last 3 games who knows what may happen…..


Come on you Saints.