16th January 2019

Perpetual Press Floodlit Cup

Brackley Town Saints (4) Reading City (1) 

Saints : Worby, Green, Brock, Godfrey, Baldwin (Middleton 57) Goddard, James, Whitmore E ( Watts 74),Bowden, (Hammond 68), Jordan, 


Subs not used: Ward 

A much changed Saints side with 4 players aged 17 faced an equally youthful City side on a cracking pitch at St James Park and provided a very entertaining game in which Saints proved too strong in the end.  

As has been the way of late Saints started slowly and City took the lead on 8 minutes when Goddard misjudged a long ball from left back Baar and Medford nipped in behind slotting neatly past Worby. 

Baldwin almost equalised immediately when he got on the end of a Harry Brock free kick at the far post but he was having to stretch and the keeper saved without trouble. 

Saints had been getting lots of possession but lacked intensity but you could sense that they were increasingly putting City under pressure. The teams exchanged a couple of half chances from corners at each end and the City winger Alves was looking very pacy. 

On 26 minutes great feet from Chris Jordan bamboozled a couple of City defenders. He then played in Josh Bowden who worked space onto his left foot but his shot was straight at keeper Matt Carr. Saints did not have to wait long for their equaliser when 3 minutes later good build up play and an accurate long pass by Lewis Baldwin found Jordan who controlled the ball nicely cut back on his right foot and shot under Carr. 

The next 10 minutes were fairly even, but the final 5 minutes of the half belonged to Saints. On 42 minutes great work from Brock down the left flank was followed up with a pinpoint cross. Bowden rose well and looked as though he must score but he didn’t quite time the header which squirted wide. But in the next passage of play City appealed for a free kick just outside their box. The referee waved play on and the ball found its way to Chukwuemeka who was in the right place and coolly placed his shot past Carr.  

The first 15 minutes of the second half was forgettable. Both teams were guilty of misplaced passes and unnecessary free kicks and the game was very stop/start. That changed on 63 minutes when Jordan skilfully created the space to play in Bowden to the right side of the City penalty area and he rounded the keeper and finished from a tight angle. 

Saints were now pretty much camped in the City half and were awarded a penalty on 70 minutes after a mazy run by Chukwuemeka was ended by a trip in the box. Owen James tucked the penalty away confidently to complete the scoring. 

At no time did City give up and they created a couple of half chances in the final 10 minutes. But Saints held out for a fully deserved victory. Well done to the four u18 players who all acquitted themselves well and will hopefully have learnt lots from stepping up.

 The Saints return to league action on Saturday 19th at home to Flackwell Heath. Kick off 3pm. Please come and support the lads.